Hawaii dubbed ‘Cryptocurrency Hotspot Of 2021’
In the last five years alone, cryptocurrencies have surged by over 3,000 percent in the U.S., with 6 percent of the population now using or owning crypto. This trend is only set to grow. As interest surges, MiQ Digital has analyzed which currencies have had the most significant spike in value, the crypto trends dominating 2021 and which US states are investing money into the crypto market.
In the U.S., cryptocurrency demand is so high that American authorities are looking for ways to regulate the market, despite cryptocurrency not being a part of the mainstream economy.
These are the areas with the largest interest in crypto in 2021, alongside the increase in demand since 2020:
|State||Increase in Demand|
2021 Cryptocurrency Trends:
While Hawaii, Nevada, California, Florida and Colorado show the highest cryptocurrency interest in the US, the top-performing coins of 2021 have more widespread appeal.
Dogecoin is the most significant cryptocurrency trend of 2021 with an incredible 6,900 percent surge in value culminating in various factors: interest from Redditors spurring one another on, Elon Musk’s tweets and space explorations, a Snoop Dogg repost, and controversy around the electronic trading platform, Robinhood.
Bitecoin,+51% increase in valuesince 2020
- December 2020 value: $26,272.00
- May 2021 value: $39,746.00
- +239% increase in interest across the US
- Bitcoin hotspots: Hawaii, Nevada
Dogecoin, +6,900% increase in value since 2020:
- December 2020 value: $0.005
- May 2021 value: $0.35
- +1,781% increase in interest across the US
- Dogecoin hotspots: Alaska, California, North Dakota, Washington
Maker, +602% increase in valuesince 2020
- December 2020 value: $564.00
- May 2021 value: $3957.00
- +493% increase in interest across the US
- Maker hotspots: California, Texas
Ethereum, +313% increase in valuesince 2020
- December 2020 value: $683.00
- May 2021 value: $2,823.00
- +777% increase in interest across the US
- Ethereum hotspots: California, New Jersey, Washington
Dash, +101% increase in valuesince 2020
- December 2020 value: $107.00
- May 2021 value: $215.00
- +206% increase in interest across the US
- Dash hotspots: Alaska, Arizona
Litecoin, +56% increase in valuesince 2020
- December 2020 value: $128.00
- May 2021 value: $199.00
- +433% increase in interest across the US
- Litecoin hotspots: Alaska, Washington
To date, around 2,300 US businesses accept Bitcoin, although its use is more prolific in some states than others.
About MiQ Digital:
We’re MiQ, a programmatic media partner for marketers and agencies. We connect data from multiple sources to do interesting, exciting, business-problem-solving things for our clients. We’re experts in data science, analytics and programmatic trading, and we’re always ready to react and solve challenges quickly, to make sure you’re always spending your media investments on the right things in the right places. Visit wearemiq.com for more information.